Tuesday, September 05, 2006

For Those of You Scoring At Home, That's 5

Tiger Woods continues to roll. In the past five tournaments he's entered, he's five-for-five.

NY Times:

[Tiger's mechanics are coming together] So much so that Woods carded his 20th round in the 60’s in his past 24, good for a tournament score of 16-under-par 268. Beginning with his triumph at the British Open on July 23, golfers at various points in their careers have stood in Woods’s midst, only to be humbled.
The five consecutive victories have run up Woods' victory tally to seven this year...and he's only entered 14 events.

Think about that for a second.

Nobody hits .500 for the season in baseball. In basketball Michael Jordan never shot better than .539 for the year (1990-91) -- and that counts layups.

What Tiger is doing is absolutely amazing. And he's not getting enough credit for how good he is.

Sure he's got the Nike endorsement, Buick deal and scores of other Tiger-powered advertisements, but even that is not enough.

Tiger is dominating the game in a manner that even his most ardent supporters never would have imagined. And we are all lucky to get to watch.

I remember being glued to the CBS telecast as Tiger marched his way to victory at Augusta in 1997. Inspired by someone I saw as a member of my generation, I headed out to the driving range after that first time since my junior golf days. That return to the golf course gave me a hobby after an inability to hit the curveball ended my baseball career, and has yielded countless rounds and cherished time with my father and grandfather. As far as I'm concerned that is another accomplishment -- another victory -- that doesn't end up anywhere in Tiger's career statisitcs and I know I'm not the only one who experienced this.

So for all the guys (and girls) who will run to the driving range to see if they can learn how to hit a "stinger," attempt to dribble a golf ball on the face of their wedge, and show up to their next tee time clad in a red polo shirt, thank you Tiger. We can't wait to see what you do next.

No comments: